Help My Self Esteem Is Low
"My self esteem is low and I don't know what to do about it."
Self-esteem. Let's talk about it as far as what it is, some of the
issues with having low self-esteem and some ways to overcome it.
before we go any farther, we need to define just what self-esteem is
and how to recognize some of the signs of having low self-esteem.
is defined as the degree to which we feel confident and the value we
place upon our self. It exists on a high/low continuum and a person can
be at several places along the continuum during one’s lifetime or even
during the course of a day.
However, being on the low end of the scale is far more dangerous.
To know if you have low self-esteem or not, here are a few of the more common signs:
What are some reasons why my self esteem is low?
- Social anxiety – Avoiding situations like interviews, parties, business meetings and public speaking that can trigger panic attacks in people with low self-esteem.
- Inadequacy – That feeling of not being good enough that has a detrimental effect on relationships, work and everyday life.
- Powerlessness – A feeling of not being able to change a negative situation into one more positive, so the person just lives with it. Over time, it takes its toll mentally and eventually physically.
- Abuse – It can be any of many, but the common ones are physical,
emotional or sexual. And it can come from parents, teachers,
co-workers, family members or friends.
- Perfectionism – This
usually results in not finishing projects because of a fear of failing.
The thought process of people exhibiting this sign is if the project is
never done, it can’t fail. However, this sign can also prevent one from
achieving their goals in work and life for fear of failing.
– This sign involves sacrificing one’s needs to meet the needs of
others and is usually rooted in insecurity, low self-worth and shame.
– The two most common types of overcompensation are overeating and
drinking in excess. People with low self-esteem find comfort in food and
drink as those two never fail them and are always there to comfort
- Self-talk – Those negative conversations with yourself. Constantly telling yourself, "my self esteem is low" is reinforcing the low self esteem. If negative self-talk is done long enough, even you begin to believe them.
Low self-esteem can also be a symptom of several
mental health issues like depression and anxiety. If left unchecked or
not recognized, it can lead to life-threatening conditions such as
About the Artwork Featured in the Headings on this Site: If you like the awesome artwork that you see on these pages, check out these Artists' Etsy shops:
- National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-7233 (SAFE)
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255